Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day eight. “Aiden how do you say, will you play with me in Chinese?”

Day eight. “Aiden how do you say, will you play with me in Chinese?” quote by Claire

We ventured off to the Shanghai Aquarium today. It is a really nice and well done. Not much to say except that we were there during feeding time so we got to see the scuba divers down in the water hand feeding most of the fish and other marine life.
The only thing we didn’t get to see eat, which we probably could have, but we needed to leave because Claire got really upset when she found out what was going to happen. The alligators had live ducks put in their pen. It was only a matter of time before those ducks became dinner. You can see the alligators in the lower left corner of the picture watching the ducks very carefully. Sorry the pictures not very clear, I couldn't get a clear one.

It sort of bothered me, but only because I knew the ducks didn’t have a chance and they would die a cruel death. I’m not a vegetarian, but I like to be in denial about where my meat comes from.

We stopped by the park on our way home. Claire really wants to play with the other kids and sometime they will interact with her, but some times not. Poor thing, she really wanted to make friends with these two little girls at the park today. She followed them around for nearly 10 minutes and then came over to Aiden and I who were sitting on the bench and she asked Aiden “how do you say, do you want to play in Chinese?” Aiden didn’t know, he said he’d go home and look it up in his book. Again communication is getting in our way.

This is just another pictures of the kids at the aquarium today. Notice the cute panda Claire is holding? She bought this panda a couple of days ago and it goes EVERY where with us now. She talks to it constantly, it eats every meal with us...I really think she needs a friend here besides us.

4 comments:

Jessica Rottweiler said...

Hey Hollie this is Jessica Rottweiler. Lee said you had a question about the squaties and needed some female advise so here it goes:
1. Lower pants just above knees
2. Reach back between legs with one arm (above pants, below crotch).
3.Bend at elbow bring hand forward between legs (under crotch of pants) where the hand will rest on opposite knee. At this point the pants will be held forward in the crook of elbow.

ps. All this should be done in a fluid motion. The other hand should be free to use the toilet paper YOU BROUGHT WITH YOU!

Good luck. If my directions are too complicated I will attempt to draw and attach stick figures displaying the correct squatting form.

pss.practice with Claire at home first!

Unknown said...

Dear Claire:

We wish we were traveling with you so Sammie and you could play and try new yummy food together.

Anyway, next time at the park, try:

May I play with you?
== Wo neng gen ni wan ma?

Shall we play together?
== Wo men yi qi wan hao ma?

Aiden can give you the right tones. :)

Hugs,
ling

p.s. Hollie, how about some progress reports from the toilet arena... :)?

Hollie said...

Thanks Jessica for the detailed description! I think I got the picture in my head now. I have avoided this still, but I'm guessing when we do more day trips I'm going to get stuck some where. The problem that I see is that the toilets are so wide. I don't think this is going to be a problem for me, but for Claire's little legs. Thanks Ling for helping out here too. I mispoke before when I said Claire was wearing a skirt, she was wearing a skort. So...I guess I just pull that down to just below her knees and hope it doesn't touch the ground. I really don't see this as more hygienic. I realize we aren't actually touching the potty with our bodies, but the splashing and potential misses on all of our shoes and spreading that around the city is not less hygienic in my opinion.

As far as updates in this area. We didn't read the comments until this morning so I haven't tried everyone's suggestions, but we did have to use a regular potty while we were out yesterday and I don't know why but I forgot our TP. I tried the shaking method on poor Claire. I know it sort of works for the boys, but I had to bounce Claire's whole body for there to have any effect. I'm not sure it really worked...she said "this doesn't feel so good"...she was referring to the wet feeling she had to endure after she pulled up her panties.

Hollie said...

Thanks Ling for the wording! We will probably go to the zoo today so she wont be able to try it, but back to the park tomorrow.

I think Claire wishes Sammie were here to play with her too.